Through both our ‘Creative Curriculum’ and the statutory subjects of English, Maths, Science, ICT, Physical Education and Religious Education we develop children’s abilities, interests and potential in order to prepare them for the next stage in their lives.
We use a broad range of teaching strategies that take into account the ways in which children learn in order to foster engagement, motivation and creativity.
We follow The National Curriculum for maths, literacy and science and through the International Primary Curriculum the children develop their global awareness, personal goals and subject goals, through an exciting and engaging approach.
Through Philosophy for Children we develop the ability of all the children to think critically and creatively and in doing so develop the ability to build on their ideas and opinions.
The curriculum at Pickhurst Academy is designed to develop:
• Inquisitive minds, a spirit of curiosity and a passion for learning
• Key skills to equip children for the future and be committed to life-long learning
• Self-belief enabling children to reach their full potential
• Self-reflection and the ability to challenge everything
• Courage and confidence to take calculated risks
• Perseverance and to learn from mistakes
This is the philosophy of how we want to work and learn. These aims underpin the learning that takes place at Pickhurst.
At Pickhurst we teach RE (religious education). Learning in RE is based on the locally agreed syllabus. Children learn about the six major faiths of Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, Sikhism and Hinduism.